Monday, September 5, 2011

Banana Muffins

Recently there has been a baking fever that hit the people in my circle (my partner and I included of course!).  My social network mediums have been popping up with numerous photos of my friends' proud bakes - from nearly flourless cakes, to chiffon cakes, lemon meringue tarts, muffins.. wow wee.. I must admit that I am very envious of some of my friends' achievements!

I have tried my hand at meringue cupcakes and a chiffon cake in the past week, but they didn't turn out as well as I have wished.  While I continue working on them (will definitely post once the desired results are achieved), here's a simple yet satisfying bake that my husband and I made yesterday.  It was inspired by my sister's-in-law banana muffins which were so flavourful that we just had to bake a batch on our own too.  Love the taste, and the aroma that filled our little kitchen while the muffins were in the oven.... Glorious..



Banana Muffins (adapted from allrecipes.com)
- makes 6 large muffins (depending on size of muffin tin)

1-1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
3 very ripe large bananas, mashed
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
4-1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
brown sugar for sprinkling (optional)

Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat muffin pans with non-stick spray, or use paper liners.
- Dry ingredients : Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon powder and salt; set aside.
- Wet ingredients : Combine bananas, sugar, egg, vanilla essence and vegetable oil in a large bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Fold in gently and quickly. The mixture should still be lumpy. Do not overmix, as that will cause the muffins to lose it's texture.  Fill muffin pans/cup linings to the brim with the mixture. 
- Optional : Sprinkle a little brown sugar at the top of each muffin.  This is for the muffin to brown nicely at the top. 
- Bake in preheated oven. Bake mini muffins for 10 to 15 minutes, and large muffins for 25 to 30 minutes. Muffins will spring back when lightly tapped.


No comments:

Post a Comment