Friday, January 6, 2012

Roasted broccoli with Red Chilli Flakes and Garlic


I'm a essentially a carnivore by nature.. and I avoid certain greens at all costs.  However, I do like broccoli, not so much for the taste, but their texture.  I like that the florets are soft, but their stems have a rather crunchy texture when you bite into them.   






Well, I decided that I had to 'detox' yet I wanted something with a bite.. So broccoli it was! 
The recipe called for red pepper flakes, but I didn't have any and used chilli flakes instead.  I added more than a pinch cos I'm a true Singapore girl.. Give me spice any time!  ;)  I haven't quite perfected my art of stir-frying vegetables, so any recipe that just calls for throwing food into the oven works out more than fine for me.  And I have to say that the lemon juice adds freshness to the vegetables!




Roasted Broccoli with Red Pepper Flakes and Garlic (adapted from William Sonoma's 'Good Food to Share')
serves 4-6 as a side dish

750g broccoli heads, ends trimmed
1/4 cup of extra-virgin olive oil
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice, plus more for serving
3 cloves of garlic, minced
pinch of red pepper flakes (I used red chilli flakes)
Sea Salt

Directions
- Preheat the oven to 200*C
- Cut the broccoli lengthwise into spears 4-6 inches long.  Using a vegetable peeler, peel off any dried or bruised skin from the stems.
- Arrange the spears in a single layer in a roasting pan.  Pour the olive oil over the spears, then sprinkle with the lemon juice, garlic and red pepper flakes.  Toss to coat thoroughly.
- Roast, turning once about halfway through the cooking time, until the broccoli is tender and the tips and outer edges are crisp and browned, about 15 minutes.  (The broccoli was still a little too crunchy after 15 minutes, I would increase roasting time to 20 minutes the next time).  Serve right away with an extra squirt of lemon juice and a few pinches of sea salt.

1 comment:

  1. I love this recipe! It's my go to roast broccoli recipe :)

    ReplyDelete