Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Dried Cranberries & Walnut Muffins





The craving for something sweet hits again.  Instead of going for a chocolate indulgence, I have decided to go for something healthier.  Dried cranberries and walnut muffins! 

 

When I bake, I usually halve the recipe as there's only the husband and myself at home.  And who's the one who eats all these sweet food?  Guilty..as..charged.. I usually yield 4 muffins from halving recipes.  (My muffin pan is bigger than the common muffin pans stated in recipes, but smaller than a texas muffin pan.. It's like an in-between size.)  My sister once asked why do I go through all the trouble just to bake such a small number.  Well.. I guess because baking is not a chore for me.  Somehow the more you bake, you get increasingly deft in measuring ingredients, sifting flour and melting butter in microwaves.  I'm not kidding you.  I used to feel like a monkey in the kitchen.  Now, I'm feeling more and more like an octopus. ;)




 

I've also gotten used to the washing up required.  That's the part I dislike the most..  Here lies the difference between my husband and myself, which I discovered in our recent baking session.  I belong to the group that likes to measure and lay all my ingredients out on the table before the baking action takes place. Sort of like the cooks you see on television, who go through all the ingredients one-by-one; all nicely placed in individual bowls and plates (many many bowls and plates!).  I like to minimise all forms of stress and frustration when baking.  Having everything ready keeps me calm. 

My husband on the other hand like to measure ingredients while baking on-the-go so that he doesn't have to use up too many bowls and plates in the whole baking process. For him, all he requires are the measuring spoons, a spatula, one or 2 bowls, and a big mixing bowl.  So you can imagine what happens when we bake together.  Yes, war zone in the kitchen.  However, strangely enough, if I had to choose, I'll much rather bake with him than do it alone.  Two octopuses are better than one, rite??   



Dried Cranberry & Walnut Muffins
makes 12 muffins  

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup butter, melted

Directions 
- Preheat oven to 200*C. Grease a muffin pan or line with paper muffin cups.
- Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon powder and salt into a large bowl.
- Mix buttermilk, brown sugar, eggs and butter together
- Mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients.  Add the cranberries and walnuts and mix to combine.  Do not overmix the batter.  It should remain lumpy.
- Spoon the batter into muffin cups, filling to 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool muffins on wire rack.  

2 comments:

  1. First of all, beautiful photos! Second of all, I love these muffins! They look so moist and delicious. I would have no shame in eating each and every one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jodie! I'll trade muffins for your potato chips ;) haha

    ReplyDelete