Monday, October 17, 2011

Waffles with Raspberries & Maple Syrup




Confession.  We didn't buy a box of raspberries because we wanted to have them with waffles.  We bought them yesterday because we wanted to make custard fruit tarts.  But sadly, the tart didn't work out too well.  In fact, the whole of yesterday didn't go too well for me.  So, probably, the outcome of the tart was just echoing my situation yesterday.  

My pastor always says, when life throws lemons at you, make lemonade!  So, today, I decided to make something fool-proof and just as delicious to go with the raspberries. (ok, you can tell, I'm trying really hard to console myself here.)



       

 


I've never really looked up a waffle recipe before.  Everytime I make waffles, I usually just adapt the pancake recipe.  And so far, it has always worked!  No disappointments here... Just a good yummy breakfast dish for tea break.  Give me a good dose of maple syrup, and I'm a happy girl. 

Am I going to try making fruit tarts again?  You bet!  But I'll probably need a bit more time to mop up the tears first.  Then I'm going to pick the lemons up and give them a hard squeeze!




Waffles (adapted from vahchef's pancake recipe)
serves 2

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
2 tsp caster sugar
1 cup milk
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 egg, separated

- Preheat waffle iron, and coat the grid with a little vegetable oil.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt into a big bowl
- Whisk milk, vegetable oil, sugar and egg yolk together
- Mix wet ingredients with the dry ingredients till combined.  If the batter is lumpy, add in a little milk.
- Whisk egg whites till stiff peaks are formed.  Fold the egg white into the batter.
- Ladle batter over the grid, close the grid and cook until waffle is golden brown, about 4 minutes.
- Serve the waffles with maple syrup and raspberries

No comments:

Post a Comment