Sunday, March 18, 2012

Alcoholic Hot Chocolate for some comfort






I've been too sick to cook this weekend.  It has been a crazy week for us.  My hubby just came back from abroad last weekend and was hit by a bad bout of flu.  After he recovered, it was my turn to be down.  Just when I thought I had a strong resistance..

It has been rather upsetting because I had spent the whole of the past 3 weeks planning for an event for my company.. and on the actual day of the event... Bam! I'm hit by the fever.. and all I can do is sleep.  I've taken so much medicine in the past few days that I can literally feel the meds swimming around in my body..




Anyway, I'm glad that I'm feeling much better now other than having a leaky faucet for a nose.  I wanted to have a strong, warm, comfort drink this afternoon because I haven't tasted anything for the past couple of days (yes, i think my tastebuds have died). So, hot chocolate it was...  I found this recipe online (as always)... and it had to be Nigella to the rescue..  The chocolate was much richer than expected, it didn't appear so when I was making it.. but trust me, it is rich! So, those of you who are having a sore throat, stay away from this..  Other than that.. it was wonderfully warming..


Alcoholic Hot Chocolate (adapted from here)
serves 2

2 cups milk
3 1/2 ounces best-quality dark chocolate, bittersweet or semisweet, as preferred
1 cinnamon stick
2 teaspoons honey (i didn't add honey)
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons dark rum, or to taste

Directions
Put the milk into a saucepan and break the chocolate into pieces and add to the milk along with a cinnamon stick, honey, and sugar and heat gently until the chocolate is melted.

Add the vanilla and mix with a small hand whisk and still whisking, add a spoonful of the rum first and taste to see if you want more. Add more sugar if you want this sweeter, too. Take out the cinnamon stick and pour into 2 cappuccino or caffe latte cups.



13 comments:

  1. hey do rest well and i hope u feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. New follower here - your photographs are gorgeous! I'll probably have to try every one of your recipes because they look good enough to eat ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe, Thanks!! I'm actually new at cooking.. so most of my recipes are adapted from other websites.. So yeah, do give them a go! I usually pick recipes that other fellow cooks rated rather highly :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. You should! Especially on cold, rainy days!

      Delete
  4. Get better!! And again your photos are gorgeous as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that looks soooo delicious!
    lovely blog - i just follow you!
    kisses from germany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by! It's always flattering and humbling to know that people are following my blog :)

      Delete
  6. gorgeous photos!!! love the idea of making a sophisticated hot cocoa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. amazing pictures. and the cups are great, love the style.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect for cold weather, lovely, rich and hearty!

    ReplyDelete