Sunday, March 11, 2012

Madeleines

I haven't baked in a while, so it was time to give my kitchen mixer a good work out.  I've bought these madeleine moulds for a few months, but I haven't had the opportunity to use them.. Or should I say, procrastination got the better of me. ha...





It's my first time making madeleines, and I'm pleased that they turned out pretty alright.. considering the fact that these pans are cheap $2 ones from Daiso. But... if anyone from Daiso is reading this, could you please make the grooves for the pans deeper? I think the madeleines will look better if the lines/ridges are more defined.. :)  Other than that, the pans work perfect!  I can't ask for more...   And thanks for selling everything at $2! 




I had to bake the madeleines in 2 batches as I only have 2 pans (yep, even though they cost $2 each, I only bought 2 :P) My 2nd batch turned out prettier (see the pretty stripes??).  I overbaked the 1st batch and they were brown all over..  They tasted great still, just less 'accessorized'.




Oh, by the way, check out the lovely enamel plate in the picture!  Courtesy of my friend, Jaime, who lugged plates and spoons back for us all the way from Down Under!  We are going international in our prop hunts!  Woohoo!  


Madeleines (adapted from Allrecipes.com)
makes 12


2 eggs
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon lemon zest (I omitted the lemon cos the hubby doesn't like lemon in desserts)
55g butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar for decoration (left this out too, as the madeleines were sweet)

Directions
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Butter and flour 12 (3 inch) madeleine molds; set aside.               
- Melt butter and let cool to room temperature.          
- In a small mixing bowl, beat eggs, vanilla and salt at high speed until light.               
- Beating constantly, gradually add sugar; and continue beating at high speed until mixture is thick and pale and ribbons form in bowl when beaters are lifted, 5 to 10 minutes.             
- Sift flour into egg mixture 1/3 at a time, gently folding after each addition.               
- Add lemon zest and pour melted butter around edge of batter. Quickly but gently fold butter into batter. Spoon batter into molds; it will mound slightly above tops.              
- Bake 14 to 17 minutes (I baked mine for 12mins), or until cakes are golden and the tops spring back when gently pressed with your fingertip.             
- Use the tip of the knife to loosen madeleines from pan; invert onto rack. Immediately sprinkle warm cookies with granulated sugar. Madeleines are best eaten the day they're baked. Leftover madeleines are wonderful when dunked into coffee or tea.

11 comments:

  1. lovely lovely post. I love the composition and your use of props. I'm guessing natural lighting?

    I use Daiso madeleine moulds too. At 2 bucks... can't complain too much I guess! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Yes, I only photograph with natural light.. food looks better that way somehow :)

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful blog! I´m truly in love, wonderful pics and nice recipes. I´m a new follower!
    Greets from Germany, Coco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Coco, thank you for dropping by.. And I'm flattered that you like my pics!
      Would love to fly to Germany someday... :)

      Delete
  3. i have those molds too! i got two initially too, but realised tt i always had too much batter, so i went to bought a third one. they are out of stock occassionally, so do look out if u plan to get more. :)

    gorgeous photos and props as usual! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, i've seen your beautiful madeleine photos!! gorgeous!

      Delete
  4. These madeleines look great! I've found your blog on Foodgawker and your pics are fantastic. Here in Spain we use a different mold for madeleines, but the recipe is quite similar :)
    Kisses from Spain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sofia, howdy from Singapore! And thank you!
      How do your moulds look like? The moulds I've seen in most magazines/books are of a similar shape!

      Delete
  5. I love the enamel plate ! gorgeous photos Erin. My favorite shot was actually the eggs though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your blog yesterday (through foodgawker) and am truly in love with your photos. I'm keeping an eye on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Erin I love love your photos. I found your blog by searching for enamelware Singapore. I'm now your new follower. Meaw

    ReplyDelete