Friday, November 25, 2011

Double Chocolate Chip Muffins







Do you remember Enid Blyton's The Magic Faraway Tree series?  Recently my friend posted that she bought the book to reminisce.  I loved the whole series with the magical lands, Moonface, Saucepan Man, Silkie, the slippery slide, etc.  Wouldn't it be great if we can make pop biscuits?!  And toffee shocks would be perfect for Halloween! 

Today, I happen to be in the Land of Indecisiveness and Absent-mindedness.  It took me approximately an hour and a half to decided whether I should make a Triple Chocolate Muffin or a Chocolate Chip Muffin (Tough decision, rite? Don't roll your eyes!). 



Well, I finally decided to go with a simple Chocolate Chip Muffin recipe which I found on AllRecipes.com.  While I was midway through measuring all the ingredients, I realised that I had sifted self-raising flour instead of all-purpose flour.  Yes, I know it's not a big mistake as self-raising flour is similar to all-purpose just that it has baking powder pre-mixed into it.  But given that I'm rather new to baking, I'm usually quite a stickler to recipes.  And I had absent-mindedly poured out 1/4 cup of white chocolate chips which isn't required in the recipe. Arrghh.....  

So due to my sheer brilliance, today's bake of plain chocolate chip muffins became Double Chocolate Chip Muffins! 





Double Chocolate Chip Muffins (adapted from AllRecipes.com)
makes 12

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk (Based on others' comments, I increased it to 1 cup milk)
1/3 cup vegetable oil (Based on others' comments, I increased it to 1/2 cup oil)
1 egg
3/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used 1/2 cup dark chocolate, 1/2 cup white chocolate)
3 tablespoons white sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar

Directions
-Heat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Grease bottoms only of 12 muffin cups or line with baking cups.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, chocolate chips, and salt; mix well. In a small bowl, combine milk, oil and egg; blend well. Add dry ingredients all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened (batter will be lumpy.)
- Fill cups 2/3 full. Sprinkle tops of muffins before baking with a combination of 3 tablespoons sugar and 2 tablespoon brown sugar.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 1 minute before removing from pan. Serve warm

2 comments:

  1. Oh my they absolutley look Yum Yum! I happen to bump into your blog via food gawker. You have a wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you! and do drop by more often :)

    ReplyDelete