Friday, November 4, 2011

Mesclun Salad & A Walk in the Park






I had a major kitchen failure this week.  So, today, I decided to go easy with myself -- salad.

It has also been a strange week.  I was rather sickly and weak.  There were also many thoughts that came running through my mind.





This Tuesday, I went out to take a short walk at Bidadari Park to clear my mind.  I love that park for two simple reasons --firstly, we had our wedding photos taken there, so it holds a special place in my heart.  Secondly, and the main drawing factor, I love the tembusu trees.  I like their sturdy trunks, the strong branches, the whole structure of the tree.  I have to declare that they are my favourite trees.





Perhaps my liking for the tembusu tree is due to its simplicity. I love that they look so grand and sculptural even though these particular tembusus are 'balding'.  No frills. Raw, yet beautiful.

Yes, back to lunch today, simple and un-frilly.  Store-bought vegetables with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, a splash of balsamic vinegar and a quick grating of parmesan cheese.  Fresh. Simple. Beautiful.




Mesclun Salad
(serves 2)

1 packet of mesclun (mixed baby greens), rinsed and spun dry
1-1/2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, or to taste
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
grated parmesan cheese

Directions
- In a salad bowl toss the mesclun well with the oil and drizzle it with the vinegar.
- Season the salad with salt and pepper and toss it well
- Serve with grated parmesan cheese sprinkled on top




No comments:

Post a Comment